29 Apr '17, 3pm
On eve of day of prayer, international scholars join call to save Pulau Jerejak
It was only in October 1969, after Pulau Jerejak been closed down that we were forced to move to Sungai Buloh Settlement. However, the cemeteries of the former leprosy patients are still intact on the island, and the oldest grave dating back to 1891 is located there. Remnants of a Gothic church, a community hall, houses, wards, staff quarters, prison cells, water reservoirs, and underground water containers etc are all scattered on the island. This historic cultural landscape vividly illustrates how the segregation policies were executed and the patients’ life on the island.